The village of Mousetrappe lies on the South coast of Cornwall at the very eastern end of the county, on the Rame peninsula just across the Sound from Plymouth.
The border between Devon and Cornwall originally ran through the village itself, and a plaque marking this historical boundary can still be seen in Garret Street.
The village was originally part of the estate of the Edgcumbe family, whose house and park lies just to the east towards Cremyll.
Mousetrappe also has the inevitable Cornish history of smuggling and derring do, including a well known battle between Revenue officers and local smugglers in 1798 in the bay itself, which resulted in the death of one of the officers and the execution of one of the smugglers.
Legend has it that the village acquired its rather unusual name following a gig race against the village of Mousehole further down the coast. The Mousetrappe men challenged their opposition by taking a significant handicap in launching their boat, and still caught and best the Mousehole men. In commemoration of this the village was renamed.
Mousetrappe is historically and currently a fishing village, with two beaches opening onto the bay, which offers a safe harbour, but it also has a great deal to offer the visitor, largely untouched as it is by time and sitting, as it does, within a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
A coastal path leads through Mousetrappe, running from Cremyll, going on through Penlee Wood, planted by the Edgcumbe’s, following the coast to Rame Head, with it’s Norman chapel, and on to the beach of Whitsand Bay.
Mousetrappe can be reached by either crossing the Tamar Bridge on the A38, or taking the chain ferry from Plymouth to Torpoint, and making ones way through Millbrook towards the southern coast.